Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Titanium rod in leg
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was hit by a car almost a month ago, and my right leg was broken. They hammered a titanium rod into my right tibia and screwed it in. I am going crazy with the recovery and healing process. Has anyone out here suffered with this?
Posted on 01/13/12, 07:07 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Accidents. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/14/12  11:13pm
" Hi jambrose
Sorry you had an accident and hurt yr leg. I broke my ankle in 3 places 6 weeks ago. I don't have a rod but I have a plate and screws. I'm very happy because I've finally reached the 6 week - no weight bearing mark. I still have to be careful until I see the surgeon and have an xray next week. But am hoping I can start walking again soon. Its pretty tedious hey? I know of someone who had her rod out after 6wks. But it may be very different to your situation. Other people apparently get plates and screws taken out at some point if they are causing discomfort. I'm going to ask my surgeon about that. Also, it might help to see a physiotherapist about rehabilitation and exercises that you can do as you get further into recovery. Good luck with it all "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/28/12  12:48pm
" My aunt was walking with metal stick that supposed to help her lag to heal for at least 3 years because she did not have money to remove it at the time. The part of the stick was actually outside so she had the hole in her lag that could not heal till the metal would be removed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/11/12  10:21pm
" Yeah, I shattered my femur. The dr inserted a rod with screws that will never be removed.

I was sent to a physio therapy clinic several months later. It hurt but I started small, and built up my muscles agian. I recommend machines specific for leg exercises, because propper form is key. Never over do it. Go slow, with smooth movement and you'll be okay.

Since, i've joined running clubs and returned to normal EXCEPT I can't have my girl sit on my lap. There are new limitations, but it is not to much to handle.

It will hurt more on cold days, so dress warm. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/12/12  5:44am
" hi daer....... very good "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/22/12  6:40am
" hi Jambrose...i was in a ca accident when i was 24 and i suffred a multiple compound fracture of my right tibia, and had a surgery where the dr inserted a metal rod in my leg...i had a robo cop cast for 2 years until they took the rod out 2 years later..feel free to message me with any questions you have, or if you just need to talk..i know exactly what your going thru and believe me its not fun... i also suffered from a shattered elbo with screws and wires, and a second broken arm, leaving me with onky 1 good limb...i was bed ridden for months, but this is temporary..i am here if you want to talk.. ~stinky~ and i am praying you have a quick recovery "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/24/12  4:12pm
" Since your post was in January, I hope you are doing well. I had a spiral fracture that broke both my tibia and fibula in half at the ankle one week ago today. Freak fall in my hallway trying to push the dog back into the family room. I have a titanium rod from my knee to ankle, right leg, 3 screws. I have been doing pt myself 3 times a day. I drive in my job quite a bit and I am not the type of person to sit around so I know it's going to be tough. Hope you are walking just fine now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/18/12  9:37am
" Broke my leg 2 years ago. Have Titanium rod from knee to hip. Took about 8 months to get from where I was before I broke the leg, back to walking normally, and without a limp. Now have absolutely no pain whatsoever, . . . ok once in a blue moon, which is easily stopped with 1-500mg Acetaminophen. But the good news is that I'm doing really well . . . and I'm 65! Good luck with your recovery. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/06/12  4:57am
" a friend had a car accident also last year..
she worked with a chiropractor in the healing process and it got her better. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web