Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Broken sternum from car accident
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was in a bad car accident in April 2010. My sternum was broken from the seatbelt, along with extensive soft tissue and nerve damage throughout my chest wall. I recently had my 4th ct scan and all have shown no healing at all whatsoever. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a broken sternum from a car accident and how long it took to heal? I have not been getting a lot of answers from my doctors. I've just been told that it takes a long time to heal and that in a very small number of people it never heals. I've also been told there's nothing that can be done except manage the pain, and if that can't happen, surgery is an option.

If anyone has any info I sure would appreciate it. Or if anyone has been thru this I would really like to hear your experiences.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Posted on 01/23/11, 12:05 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Accidents. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/24/11  10:34pm
" Hi - I don't have the same injury - but just wanted to send some sympathy your way.

Hopefully, someone who has something similar will see this post and respond so that you can get some good info. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/24/11  10:39pm
" Thank you so much. I appreciate you getting back to me, regardless. It was very sweet of you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/25/11  12:34am
" I sure know what it's like to be in a bad car accident & to be dealing with tremendous pain. So, although I don't have the same injury, I can relate to the pain, the fear of not knowing whether or not I will fully recover, and the day to day of managing with a very serious injury.

I can tell you that I've had a lot of recovery happen between the 9-12 month point. Prior to that, it seemed that things were just staying the same for a long period of time.

I hope that you will experience some healing soon, because even little bits of progress are really helpful from an emotional standpoint. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/10/11  10:35am
" Hi - I had a lot of seatbelt injuries too. Multiple broken ribs and clavicle and sternum injuries as well. The clavicle was (and still is) a big problem as it never healed and was in a lot of little pieces and sticking way up, but not out of the skin. I eventually had a bone graft and a plate and seven screws put in. It has taken almost five years and the last xray showed that the bone has grown together. I am considering having the hardware removed, as it contributes to the pain and discomfort in my chest, arm, and shoulder. I also have internal injuries and other harware in my right leg so I have a chronic ongoing pain that I have learned to deal with the best way I can. I have accepted that is will be for the rest of my life, and that there are things I can do though to help me function the best way I can and try to get the most out of the days I have. I remind myself that the pain has become my main "symptom" of LIFE! Without it, I would have been dead like the other two people who hit me with their car. It is Because I survived that I now have pain. So it reminds me daily..... the WORST thing that happened to me was that I survived so SUCK IT UP! (That's what I try to tell myself anyway, and it usually works!) That, pain meds, and physical therapy! Good luck to you though, I hope you heal well!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/11/11  7:50am
" Have you gotten multiple opinions yet? I don't have a sternum injury, but I did have extensive injuries from a head on car accident 2 years ago. One of those injuries was to my hip, and I was also told, it could heal on it's own or I might need surgery. I waited about a year and then I started getting multiple opinions. I actually ended up consulting 6 surgeons in total, which may sound crazy, but the surgery was really risky so I figured to play it on the safe side. I did end up getting the surgery a month ago, and I'm glad I did. The first week was awful (I was in the hospital for 3 days), but I'm already walking without crutches and physical therapy is going well. I know I made the right decision, and it was a result of patience, trying alternative and less invasive approaches first (I had 3 injections and aspiration of fluids and tried physical therapy) and lots of consulting doctors. I did have to go through a lot of pain because I waited so long to have the surgery, but I feel so much more confident in my decision because of that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/30/11  3:17pm
" Hey, I do not have the same injurys as you.. But i was in a car crash to on 29 June 2010 and i ended up with a broken cheek bone broken nose fractured eye socket and 83 stitches and 2months later a was heal'd and away on holiday, i would go for surgery i choosed that twice and they both worked for my eye there was risks of blindness and more but my sight is alot better and if you choose surgery it stops your usual pain and you will be better in no time.

Sophie x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/18/11  6:08am
" Hi!
I am exactly the same i had a car accident 7 years ago and still suffering, hence my searching it, i have had multiple x-rays but to no avail of why im in pain, (they pretty much tell me to suck it up) it feels as if im going to snap it again, i work in retail so i am constantly up down, here there, and anything can trigger it from pushing a door to cleaning glass and just standing up. i had a compo payout but i think i was ripped off as i was 17 at the time, and happen to fall pregnant b4 the settlement which ment they couldnt x-ray due to bubba, put down i would be 3% disabled from it, and shoved me off, To be honest i wish it would snap so i could say i told you so, and sue that expensive doc who forced me into the settlement. I also have a ball of a bone that sits in the middle of my chest poking out, no one else i have compared to has this but they say it isn't a problem but it is very sore the times it pops in and out. I say goodluck on your journey to get yourself fixed and take my advice, dont settle with a "she'll be right" attitude of doc's keep persisting! I wish i did. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web