Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
L-Phenylalanine / L-Tyrosine
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is anyone else familiar with these supplements for the treatment of ADD/ADHD?
Posted on 11/24/08, 09:55 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for ADHD / ADD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/25/08  1:55pm
" I've read about L-Tyrosine, not the other. Precursor to dopamine. I've never tried it. However, meat and dairy are an abundant source for L-Tyrosine, so eat your meat!
Have you tried the supplements and do they work? Noticeable? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/06/09  10:11pm
" The L-Phenylalanine is a precursor to L-Tyrosine which then becomes Dopamine, by taking those two supplements you will help your body to produce the Dopamine. When I was not able to take a stimulant I would take L-Tyrosine and it was helpful although you don't feel the results immediately like you do on the stimulants, the difference is more like you take it in the morning and at the end of the day you say, "Gee, I got a lot done today, I guess it did help me stay focused..." that type of result. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/08/09  3:42pm
" I recently began reading the book "Healing ADD - The Breakthrough Program That Allow You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD" by Daniel G. Amen, M.D. and an addition to providing me with a life-altering explanation of my ADD experience through the "visible" brain activity scans he uses in his treatment, and reviewing prescription drugs, exercise and dietary changes he talks at length about using a variety of supplements for the treatment of the different types of ADD/ADHD he has found in his studies.

Thus he recommends taking L-TYROSINE for treating "Classic" ADD (ADHD) & "Inattentive" ADD (non-hyperactive) symptoms. Through analysis of his material I determined that in addition to Type 2 Inattentive ADD, I also suffer from what he classifies as Type 3 "Overfocused ADD" and Type 6 "Ring of Fire" ADD and possibly Type 5 "Limbic" ADD.

Based on my self-diagnosis I started taking a combination of supplements including L-Tyrosine, St. Johns Wort, DL-phenylalanine, 5-HTP and SAMe.

Depending on what "Type" of ADD you have the L-Tyrosine may make you feel better or in some cases possibly worse! (as in the case of Type 4 "Temporal" Lobe ADD. Thus it helps to recognize which type you have.

For me, L-Tyrosine created an imbalance leading to more distraction (more of what I already have). Starting a couple weeks ago I began taking St. John's Wort in conjunction with L-Tyrosine (which boosts serotonin production in the brain) 3 times a day (8AM, 1PM & 5 PM) I started to feel better than ever before in my life, resulting in a greater ability to concentrate and get things done!

Thus I can vouch for the effectiveness of this particular combination (for my symptoms alone). Today I started Adderall treatment for the first time so I have discontinued my use of L-Tyrosine for the time being (being that it has a stimulating effect, and is a precursor to dopamine - which is what the Adderall supposedly will help with).

FYI: If you ingest Caffeine (coffee, tea etc.) or Theobromine (the stimulant in chocolate) then you will receive little if any benefit from L-Tyrosine as these are more powerful stimulants that compete with the brain receptors L-Tyrosine mates with. Fortunately if you stick with L-Tyrosine you will not suffer any of the withdrawal side effects associated with caffeine / theobromine (apart from those you may experience when you take them out of your diet, assuming you already ingest them).

THUS - yes, for me taking L-Tyrosine has a noticeable positive effect on ADD symptoms. The effect is subtle, so it helps to know what your symptoms are before taking it, so you can recognize that you are feeling better.

As for your question about PHENYLALANINE - I take a form of it called "DL-phenylalanine or DLPA" each morning to help reduce my symptoms of "Limbic" ADD, along with SAMe. Limbic ADD is characterized by symptoms of moodiness, low energy, irritability and a tendency to focus on the negative in life more than the positive. DLPA is the amino acid precursor for norepinephrine, which has been determined to be low in those of us with ADD/ADHD and/or depression. DLPA supplementation can have a positive effect on mood and focus.

While taking DLPA daily for the past couple weeks I, and my wife, have noticed that I rarely focus on the negative anymore, my moodiness and irritability have been replaced by a general sense of calm and lightness. So again, in my experience DLPA supplementation works well in the treatment of ADD.

FYI: here's a link to Dr. Amen's amazingly insightful book on treating ADD > http://tinyurl.com/9e3nvx

I originally checked it out from my local library, however it's now overdue so I plan to buy a copy to keep as a handy reference (which I refer to several times a day right now).

Hope this information helps you! Let me know if it does. ~ NS "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/25/10  11:47am
" Thank you so much NS for your thoughts on using the supplements that Dr Amen recommends. We are looking for ways to treat our son without having to go see Dr AMen. It sounds like you have been able to do it yourself which is what I was hoping we could do for our son. Did it take a while to get the amounts right for you? Is there a particular brand you got...I was thinking of gong to Whole Foods to get the supplements there. Also did you alter your diet and stop watching TV and playing video games (Dr AMen suggests this in his books). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/27/10  8:47am
" Thanks Newstrength for all your information. I have been doing some research on adult ADD and spoke with a psychiatrist that said that some of her patients have had very good luch with a product called MegaMind. I found it on the internet and am going to buy it. Also, look up the products on the website for Neurorelief.com. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web