Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
falling asleep on adderall...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was just recently prescribed adderall...although I've had it before. I'm also taking Prozac along with it. I took it today and was hoping that I would be able to get stuff done but I fell asleep. (I was really really tired from the night before)

Is this a bad thing? I'm only at 10mg and am a petite female...
Posted on 04/23/08, 04:33 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for ADHD / ADD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/23/08  9:11pm
" Maybe you were sleepy from not haveing much sleep last night. I know everyone's body reacts different to meds, my 7yr old takes 5mg of adderall and this child never wants to sleep! (lol) But if you notice you are sleepy more than you should be i'd talk to the Dr. hope this helps and good luck!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/24/08  9:39am
" my 14yr old takes 15mg of adderall and he never wants to sleep either...that child has never really had a sleeping pattern or scheduled sleeping ever...maybe it's the prozac? talk with your dr and tell him what has been happening...take care "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/25/08  2:09am
" many times after i was done with my morning classes on campus, i would go home for lunch, then take my afternoon dose (30 mg Adderall). if i laid down to take a nap right after i took my Adderall, i would be able to fall asleep. the problem was that i would *stay* asleep for a couple of hours. so eventually i tried not to lay down right after i took my Adderall and try to keep myself busy for at least 15-30 minutes. once the Adderall kicked in, i wouldn't have any problems staying awake. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/09/10  1:42am
" It just depends on your body chemistry. At times that does happen. It also depends on if you have been taking more of it often and you start to build tolerance then you might be able to sleep. If you fall asleep before it hits the bloodstream then the Adderall hasn't yet kicked in. If you ate a large meal prior to taking it that will effect the outcome as well. One thing to consider is that 10mg is not a lower strength. It goes all the way up to 30mg for the mixed amphetamines.

My societal concern.

Adderall is amphetamines. It is speed very little chemical differance than methamphetamines. The sad truth is that the reason it keeps children concentrating is because they are tweaking on their classwork. It is much easier to concentrate when you are tweaking. I am not saying that Adderall is a bad thing and I understand ADD/ADHD. I also believe it is over diagnosed. Today, the CDC estimates that 4.5 million have been diagnosed with ADHD. The CDC notes that diagnoses of ADHD has increased an average of 3 percent every year from 1997 to 2006. Moreover, the Drug Enforcement Administration notes that since 1991 there has been a 500 percent increase in the prescriptions written for stimulant medication to treat ADHD. We can't possibly know the long term effects that our society will be facing by giving our children so many pills to fix problems. I find it ironic that we get upset with our children when they drink a beer to relax and have a good time or smoke some pot to chill out but as long as it has a prescription then we are okay with it. We as a society need to remember that just because it is prescribed doesn't necessarily mean it is good for us. If you look at drugs like methadone, many feel the withdrawal is more dangerous than heroin. Benzo withdrawals can actually cause seizure and death. I work in a pharmacy and I want to ask every parent that gives their children adderall to take it for a week and see how it makes them feel and if they feel fine and not all strung out or agitated and manic then go ahead and give it to them. My daughter is a little hyper and the teachers encouraged Adderall. I told her teach I would not do that but we would work on it. We worked on concentration and discipline techniques at home daily. It was long, difficult and tedious and now she does just fine. Please understand I am not looking down at parents who give their children ADD meds, I am just asking that we look at the situation and only use these meds as an extreme last resort. These children will eventually be adults and they need to know how to cope in society without a pill. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/09/10  1:25pm
" Pharmtech, I get you societal concerns but this is a support forum and not for you to voice your opinons about what you believe to be right or wrong. I think you are right in that fact that there are many children misdiagnosed, but there are just as many children that have gone undiagnosed because parents were to afraid to treat there children because of statements such as yours........I'm an adult with ADHD and for anyone to say that it isn't a "real" problem then it infuriates me....I do not want to be unfocused and have trouble completing task but I do and yes I'm hyper even at 27 I often feel like I am bouncing off the walls.......and the medication Adderal does not make me feel "strung" out as you stated it actually calms me, slows my mind from racing and allows me to remember things I need to remember. Before I started taking adderall my husband would call me and ask me to do something then as soon as I hung the phone up I would forget and I'm sorry I'm not going ot spend the rest of my life carrying a notebook around so that I don't forget the things i need to do. Not to mention Adderall is not hte only medication out there for Add/Adhd "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/09/10  1:32pm
" an9di, Adderall can make you tired if the dose is wearing off, you may need to talk to you docter about your dose. My docter switched me to the time release and I stopped getting tired after that. My docter explained to me he said that the medicine stimulates you mind and it is not used to it and then when it wears off you are really tired! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/09/10  5:43pm
" Nah! I fall asleep on it a lot! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/09/10  5:44pm
" Oh and I take 40mg twice a day "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/10/10  5:04pm
" I am on Adderall XR 30mg @ morning, and after 6 hours I am pooped, before I could not stay awake at all, even after getting out of bed but I do fall asleep hard if I dont get moving quickly after I take it or now 7 hours later.... I want to saw logs. unfortunately my sons day is only half through. Is anyone on Adderall XR twice a day? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/11/10  2:37pm
" I've been taking Adderall for a year now and it made me really tired the first week or so and again when we increased the dose. I think it is weird also. Your body will get used to it again I'm sure and the tiredness will go away. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web