Vyvanse and sleeplessness
My almost 9 y/o son started taking Vyvanse 30 mg on Tuesday. I open the capsule and dissolve it in water every morning before 8 a.m.

I understand that this is a stimulant. The results were immediate the first day in class. The teacher was amazed.

I am a nurse. I have educated myself on the stimulant drugs. I felt that Vyvanse had fewer side effects, was dissolvable in water, and results were quicker.

He has needed to be medicated for 2 years. I have refused until now. Until it started affecting his grades, his teachers were going to have to figure out a way to redirect him. The time came where he was failing/below average. This child is smart.

The teachers have been monitoring his food intake, per my request. He hasn't been eating much of his morning snacks or lunch. I sent him to school with mini chocolate bars to eat in the afternoon. Chocolate is a brain food. He is also small for his age. He weighs approx. 55 lbs.

He hasn't been sleeping. That is what confuses me. Since he is getting the med early enough why isn't he sleeping? His bed time is 9 p.m. He now comes down stairs multiple times. Last night until almost midnight. He can't sleep.

Has anyone had this side effect? What can I do?
Posted on 01/30/09, 07:00 am
Reminder: This is a support group for ADHD / ADD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/30/09  1:42pm
" I've been taking 20mg daily for a month now and I've seen no difference in sleeping. In fact, I believe I sleep much better now. It's not perfect, but my mind's not so restless, so I guess I'm not worrying myself as much. Insomnia was regular for me before anyway, and I still wake up a few times throughout the night, it's just not as agitating. One time though, I woke up at 2pm and took the pill and that night I was a jittery mess. I also drank a 2 liter of Pepsi that day, and I'm starting to notice that caffeine has a better effect on me with this drug. It became such a habit to drink it before, so I didn't think soda would really make much of a difference. I don't know that this would help you any, but since I've been taking Vyvanse, I thought I should say something on the matter. I'm not a nurse or a doctor, but it sounds like 30mg is a lot for a 55 pound child. Not to mention, children already have their own extra energy to contend with. My niece is about 11 now and she keeps going like a cyclone until she crashes...don't know what she's taking though. "
Reply #2 - 01/30/09  6:16pm
" I've taken vyvanse in the past and currently i'm taking adderall xr (which is not as good of drug in my experience but it's WAY more affordable.) BOTH affected/ affect my ability to sleep. Something worth looking into is giving your son something with vitamin c in the early evening as I've read that this will speed up the rate at which the body metabolizes both drugs. Obviously it would be wisest to just check with his physician to see if this is something that would work. I've started to eat oranges with my dinner and have noticed I relax more easily in the pm now but it's too soon to say that my sleep patterns have really improved. "
Reply #3 - 01/30/09  7:27pm
" My son 10, and myself both use Melatonin a natural sleep aid over the counter. It has done wonders for my son with the stimulant meds. "
Reply #4 - 01/30/09  11:15pm
" I use melatonin too. Very good stuff. "
Reply #5 - 02/01/09  4:04pm
" I take 140mg a day which is suppose to last 12 hours. I wish I could help but I only sleep because my doctor gives me clonzapin. That knocks me out, but if not for that drug, I would probably not sleep well either.

The only suggestions I have is have him take it earlier, so it wears off way before bedtime and get him lots of exercise. Moving his body in a karate class or something similar might help with the restlessness.

My son has ADD and isn't medicated and often can't sleep at night. Maybe these kiddos just think/worry more and that keeps them up. "
Reply #6 - 02/20/09  11:24am
" I have the same problem. My son is 8 ans weighs 50 pounds. He never sleeps anymore. He is currently also taking the 30mg. I have tried going to bed later but that didn't work either. He usually goes to sleep about midnight or one. "
Reply #7 - 02/24/09  3:15pm
" My son is 5 and has ADHD. He just started taking the Vyvanse today - 20 mg. He is small too. Weighs 38lbs. I will watch his different side effects and let you know what I find.

I do know that he was taken Focalin XR 7.5 mg and started to notice that he couldn't go to sleep. He just lays in bed and squirms around. Can't calm himself. I also read something about Vitamin C, that it delays the Vyvanse. There was a site where I read if you take a vitamin with Vitamin C and drink orange juice with it that it would slow down the process. Take a look around, or ask your dr. Might be worth a shot to give him some Vitamin C.

I'm interested to know anything about this medication.

Has anyone lost a large amount of weight on this medication or had experiences with a racing heart? My son had to undergo and EKG before taking this medication. "
Reply #8 - 02/25/09  1:42pm
" Inkywalnut -

I posted a comment yesterday. My son took 20 mg of Vyvanse yesterday and by 4:30 in the afternoon the day was in chaos. He broke down crying for 45 mins over a minor thing, something didn't go his way, so he was crying again. Then ... he went completely crazy at dinner time. He didn't like the food, was screaming that he hated all of us, was throwing at his father, tried kicking out cat. This behavior has never occurred before and went on for an hr. Then at bedtime, he wasn't able to go to sleep. He was 12 before he fell asleep, then he rewoke at 3:30 and went back to sleep at 6 a.m. This never happened with the Focalin.

My dr is now prescribing 10 mg of Vvyanse and 10 mg of Stattera in the evening.

Any thoughts on Stattera? "
Reply #9 - 02/25/09  7:35pm
" Hi. My son takes Clonidine 0.1 mgs at bedtime and Trazodone 25 mgs at bedtime to help him sleep. Plus he takes Risperdal 0.5 mgs to help with his mood.
When he gets home from school he take Adderall 10 mgs and half a Clonidine.
When he gets up in the morning before school he takes Adderall XR 40 mgs and a Risperdal 0.5 mgs.
This sounds like alot of medicine. But we work with his regular dr and a specialist. He was actually placed in a mental hospital a year ago and these are the meds that regulated his behaviors.
My son had ADHD, ODD, Anesity and a Mood Disorder.

Back when my son was 4 he started out on Strattera. At first this drug done really well for him. But it just quit working for him. He also tried the Focalin. This was when he was 5/6 later the dr. messed with these drugs and it cause my son major problems. Thats why he was hospitalized and we FOUND a specialist !

Holli "
Reply #10 - 02/26/09  7:27pm
" Yesterday I tried my son on less than 10 mg of Vyvanse. He seemed rather nervous and restless. Around 4:30 in the afternoon he was telling me about someone in the room with him doing something. He was having hallucinations.

I have taken my child off Vyvanse and am not giving him the Strattera. He had a very bad reaction to this medication. This medication was very bad for my child and a very scary experience for my entire family.

I am going to stick to the Focalin and keep his dosage to a minimum to make it through his day. "