Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
playing with fire and knives
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
mikey is 11 and has adhd. he's just started secondary school and has recently developed an unhealthy interest in knives and setting fires. he's been caught carrying corkscrews or pen knives that he says he found. he's also looking around the house for lighters and matches. just yesterday he found a box of matches which i had hidden and while i was asleep he was trying to set fire to some ornamental grass i had. i only noticed because i smelt burning and noticed that some of it was charred. i am at the end of my tether with him and don't know what to do. help
Posted on 10/02/08, 07:07 am
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for ADHD / ADD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/02/08  1:05pm
" hmm i dont know much about knives and playing with fire but with adhd you do very impulsive things. i used to steal every day. stuff that i didnt even want or need. i still think about doing it but havent for months. i think that impulsive behavior is just apart of adhd. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/02/08  5:16pm
" I remember a freind of mine had a son around the same age and going through the same stuff. He would cut up stuff to vent his frustration. He lit his hand on fire once, but not because he was mad. He just wanted to play with fire. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/03/08  9:13am
" Huh...I used to do that a lot as a kid. Why didn't anyone ever think of this possibility. I'm glad you did, it could help his future A LOT! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/03/08  12:16pm
" My son was always obsessed with knives and fire he is eighteen now and has not hurt anyone or set fire to anything. I think it is because ADHD kids get obsessions with things. Show him the fire videos which show what could happens to people if he messes and if you instill in him how wrong it is I'm sure he will be fine. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/03/08  2:44pm
" I dont have any advice but like everybody else I think it comes with the territory-the dentist i used to work for-her middle child is adhd and loved to play w/ fire and got sent home from school for taking knives,swordes,anything that would cut "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/04/08  9:42am
" Do you have him in counseling? I don't mean to be an alarmist, but he really needs it. Historically, those who are fire starters can have inclinations toward anit-social and sociopathic behavior....i.e. murderers. Again, I am not trying to scare you, just give you the info I have. Good luck to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/04/08  5:15pm
" that's what i did when i was a kid.

Just make sure he has no source for matches. If he's getting them from a friend, talk to the kid's parents. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web